Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 46 Rochester to Little Falls - A Wet One!ould no

Could not post yesterday.  We got to the hotel early enough - but they would not allow luggage unload until 3pm.  So with all the daily chores I ran out of time.

Yesterday we rode along the Erie Canal on a great bike trail.



The first six miles were paved and after that (about 15 miles) it was hard packed gravel.  The canal has lots of locks to raise the boats that are heading upstream.



There were a bunch of little towns along the way.  It appears that there are a lot of little boats that go up and down the canal doing tours.  Might be fun to come back and board one for the tour.





After the paved bike trail we decided to jump off and take the road - the gravel does a job on your bike.
It was a really nice day with little wind so we cruised the 92 miles to Rochester.  

About 5 miles from the end we stopped at Heidi's which seems to be famous for the hot dogs and coney's.  I am a sucker for a good dog - so despite my goal of not eating junk food on the ride - I had to stop.  Sure glad I did because the dogs were special.  

Reached the hotel and like I said before we were not able to unload our luggage.  No bid deal but just ran out of time to get everything done.

Today we had a short 79 mile ride to Little Falls, NY.  The weather forecast called for rain and thunderstorms so a bunch of us left early trying to beat the rain.  Got about to the 55 mile mark and the sky opened up.  Wet, very wet ride for the remaining 35 miles.  Had my rain gear with me but it is still uncomfortable riding.  

Luckily when we got to the hotel there was a laundromat right across the street.  So it was able to accommodate 40 wet riders with wet clothes all at the same time.  

While I waited I noticed there was a nail place - Rosa's so I jumped over and had a nail job!  My hands are shot so I really needed some professional help.  Poor Rosa I wonder what she was thinking when she saw my hands.  It seems that the dye from my gloves have stained my hands and that I have a sun tan lines on my hands where the gloves end.  

But $10 bucks - you can't beat it.  Even thought about a pedi - but I think Rosa would have fainted given the state of my feet.  I have not had hot spots in a week or so - but I can' feel the last 3 toes on my right foot.

Tomorrow is our last day in NY and we head to the hills of Vermont and NH.  Four riding days left.  250 miles in total.  Hopefully the rain will clear out so we can really enjoy the rest of the tour.

Cheers

1 comment:

Susan said...

When you cross the CT river you are home free!