Saturday, August 3, 2013

Day 48 Out of New York and into Vermont

We rode 79 miles today and ended up in Brattleboro, Vermont - our next to last state.  Only two rides left!


We are now in the Green Mountains and did we ever climb hills today.  One hill was 10 miles long with a 4% grade with a couple of 6% climbs thrown in.  I was averaging 4 mph on the climb and I hit 39 mph on the way down.  We had a second climb that was a little steeper - but only 3.5 miles long. 

My guess is that they could have routed us around these hills - but wanted us to experience pain the last couple days of the ride!  We ate it up!

On one of the hills we saw the strangest thing.  A barn that was built on top of silos...



I have no clue why this was built - sure was weird.

On the second climb we climb a hill called Hogback Mountain.  It wasn't till I was at the top that I remembered this was a ski area that I use to go to when I was in high school.  I didn't have a lot of money and I could not afford Mount Snow - so we would go to Hogback - it was a little ski area with 12 runs!!!


It was a strange ski area.  The building above was the lodge.  You put your boots on in the lodge and then skied down the mountain.  Then you took the ski lift back up the hill.  Completely the opposite of most ski areas.  Today the area is defunct but the lodge is now a tourist site - when you are on the top you can see three states - Vermont, NH and Mass.


After the climbs I thought I would be pretty sore - but I must be getting stronger.  As I mentioned we have two rides left.  Tomorrow we head to Manchester, NH and the following day we end at the Atlantic Ocean in Rye, NH.

Here is a map of the ride as of the end of today.


We have done about 3600 miles and have another 150-160 to go.  

Wow almost done!!!1

No comments: