Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Only the Crazies Out Today

Day 2  Connellsvile to Rockwood - 45 miles



Started out in the rain and ended up in the rain.

One interesting thing about the GAP trail is that there are only a couple of places on the trail you can stop for food or drinks along the way. When it says 45 miles to the next stop you pretty much can assume that you have 45 miles with limited support.

Despite the rain, the trail started out pretty dry at least for the first 10-15 miles.


After that, the intensity of the rain picked up and the path surface turned to wet mud. My speed dropped from 10mph to less than 7mph. Mud everywhere.



My rain gear helped, but everything got soaked.   The bike got so clogged up with mud that I had to stopped every once in a while and spray water from my water bottle on the gears so I could shift.

Now 45 miles at 10mph is one thing; but at 6-7 mph we are talking 7 hours of slogging in the dirt. Again limited places to stop so you push on hoping for the rain to stop.

Today I only passed 5 other riders plus one family riding two tandems with their two kids (plus a trailer loaded with camping gear).  Kids could not have been over 10 and did they look miserable!  Once they get older my guess is that they will never get on a bike again.

Funny thing though is every time you pass somebody they give a big wave and shout out. I am freaking miserable and they are all waving at me.

Did figure out one reason. They are all doing the trail from Washington to Pittsburgh. Went back and re-read the trail web site and missed one important detail. If you ride the trail West it is essentially 150 miles downhill. If you do it going East (like me) it's all uphill!  Dumbass!



New rule- if you ride next to a river that the water is flowing in the opposite direction - stop your ride and turn around.

I did make it to my planned stop in Rockwood. Good news is the B&B was right next to the trail. Bad news is that there are no restaurants in the town.  However there is a bar within walking distance so hopefully they have enough junk food to chow down on.

Tomorrow I head to Cumberland which is the end of the GAP Trail.  I am supposed to then get on the C&O Canal Trail which takes me into Washington. Problem is that this trail is 100% dirt and no crushed gravel (like the GAP).   The GAP Trail is maintained by volunteers and the Canal trail is maintained by the Federal Government. So you can imagine the difference in the two trails.

Talked to a rider today who said that unless the weather changes the C&O trail will almost be impassible.

Not sure what I am going to do. Will just have to play it by ear.

Signimg off - heading to the bar before it closes at 7.


No comments: