Thursday, May 5, 2016

Riding the Gap - May Adventure

Going to start the bike season (May 8-13, 2016) with a quick one week ride on the Great Allegheny Passage (the Gap) and the C&O Canal trail.  This is a 335 mile ride from Pittsburgh to Washington DC.


















Here is the trail's website that provides all kinds of stuff about the trail....

The Gap Official Web Site

As the path is not paved (gravel and dirt), I'll be taking my old trusty 1995 Trek mountain bike.  I bought some new 40 mm semi-slick tires to deal with the soft ride surface.

This is a self directed ride - so no support wagon or luggage shuttle.  But I've booked hotels and B&B's each of the nights so no need to carry tent, sleeping bag, etc.  Clothes will go on the back of the bike in panniers.  Plan is 3 days of clothes with washer/dryer refresh at the 1/2 way mark.

Right now the forecast calls for thunderstorms and showers pretty much every day.  When I checked out the long term forecast when I planned the trip weather looked fine.  Not worried about getting wet as much as trying to ride 50+ miles in mud.  Can make for a long, long day.

Only hope is that weather.com is way wrong!

Only saving grace is that it is expected to be 70 degrees - a welcomed  relief from the 45-50 degree with 15-20 mph winds and rain we have been experiencing on the Cape.

I'll take Amtrak from DC to Pittsburgh.  The train has space for only 7 bikes so reserving early was key. Train leaves DC at 4pm and arrives in Pittsburgh at Midnight.  So getting to the first hotel will be fun!

Plan is 50-60 miles a day - given the road surface and conditions.

Pittsburgh to Connellsville59
Connellsville to Rockwood45
Rockwood to Cumberland43
Cumberland to Hancock60
Hancock to Harper's Ferry63
Harper's Ferry to DC61

One of the guys that I rode across the US with provided me a spreadsheet that listed his GAP itinerary.  But it was for one more day than I expect to complete the trip in so I had to make some modifications to his ride.

But his information was pretty helpful in mapping out my own route.  Some of the towns are really small and are "restaurant challenged" with BYOB pizza joints (closing at 7pm) as the only viable food option .  Even Yelp drew blanks in some of the places.

In any case going to try to blog most of the trip - really depends on internet access and whether my computer survives the rain.

2 comments:

Joel Reeves said...

All downhill once you get to Frostburg MD, Good Luck

russ said...

Godspeed. Be safe