Saturday, May 11, 2013

Bike Bag Necessities


Had a flat yesterday on a 65 miler.  Not a big deal -  but decided from now on I am going to ride with two spare tubes versus one.  I must be totally paranoid as I also carry one or two self-adhesive tube patches.  Just too far away from home on these long training rides to deal with a second, or worst, third flat.  

Not sure what you carry in your bike kit but here are a couple of items that I have added to my "tool kit" over the years.....

I carry a pair of light weight, disposable latex gloves as well as an individual wrapped, citrus-based hand wipe into my kit.  These really helped out in cleaning up after the tube replacement.  Nothing worst then getting back on the bike with dirty hands (particularly if you have white handlebar tape).  They take up minimal space in my seat bag and well worth the time and effort to carry. 

I also take my tubes out of the box they come in and put them in a small plastic sandwich bag (tightly wrapped secured with strong elastic bands). You can really reduce the amount of space these tubes take up with some strong elastic bands.  I then use the baggie to put the used gloves, tube and hand wipe in after use.  

I also carry an individual wrapped Chamois Butt creame from Paceline Products - available on Amazon.  On my long ride yesterday I was getting some sore spots and this little item proved its worth.  While these are prepackaged and individually wrapped, I stick the unopened  Butt Creame in a small 3x5 plastic envelope along with a small piece of paper towel.    As more often than not, I have to put the opened package back in my kit - never seems to be a garbage can near me on my rides - these little plastic envelopes prevent a big mess until I can dispose of the packaging.   Paper towel helps keep the stuff off my handlebar tape and clothing after applying.

With as many long rides as we are going to do, I think the Butt Creame will pay for itself ten times over.

I also put my Cliff Shot in one of these little plastic 3x5 bags - again to prevent my bag or bike shirt back pocket from getting all screwed up after opening the Cliff Shot.  This stuff is really messy and there is never a garbage can around when I use the stuff.

No comments: