Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Ride is On!

Just got confirmation that the Santa Fe Bicycle Trek in September is on!

While not as long as the ride across America (3800 miles), this new ride should still be an adventure (1100 miles).  Another opportunity to see this great country, meet some new friends and experience America again in all its finest.  The organizers have promised that we will learn all about the trail's history and its contribution to our country's western expansion.

And of course another chance to blog about the trip!!  Here are the details (space still available).....

http://santafetrailbicycletrek.com/

This time no hotels - camping all the way.  No fancy hotels or suites - just me and mother earth (literally). Cold showers and damp clothes.  Bugs and wild beasts.  Campfires and marshmallows.  No Luminosity to keep me sharp.  Just me and Mother Nature.  They did promise to have a cooler of cold beer at the end of each day - but its strictly BYOB.

In any case just bought a great North Face tent and a new down sleeping bag (rated at 0 to 20 degrees). And this week will go shopping for the thickest, widest, most comfortable air mattress that money can buy (have to have at least one pleasure).  I haven't camped since our honeymoon at Acadia - sure hope I remember how to do it.

Biggest challenge is going to be how to keep my phone, computer and bike gps charged.  Probably going to have to bring a 50 foot extension cord with me (or pitch my tent next to a big freaking outlet).

God, what a wimp I have become!

In any case, time to start training again - as soon as the damn rain stops (4 inches last two days).

So stay tuned!!!!

1 comment:

David said...

Sounds like a sweet trip!!