Saturday, August 23, 2014

Santa Fe or Bust!!

One week to go and my Santa Fe Bike Trek begins.  Today I shipped off my "steed" hoping it arrives safely in Santa Fe.  

Have to say - the air caddy box (cardboard) I just bought is so much better in protecting my bike than my old large plastic bike box.  I sure hope this proves true and my bike gets to the Sage Inn in Santa Fe safely; and in one piece.   

The air caddy, while cardboard, has an amazing design.  Unlike my old hard case, all I had to do to pack was remove the front wheel, lower the handlebars and remove my seat.  Best it fold back into about a 2' by 4' flat box.


For my friends who may not know, the Santa Fe Bike Trek is a 1100- 1200 mile journey that follows the route Kit Carson and others used back in the days of the Wild, Wild West - except this time we ride paved roads.  Unfortunately in some cases have to jump on the Interstates to get over some of the mountain passes.  I just hate these roads as the double and triple trailer trucks come screaming by you at 75mph.  The ride starts in Santa Fe, New Mexico and ends up somewhere in Missouri (Independence I think).  

Should be about 40 riders and unlike my trip last year - we camp every night.  I haven't camped since the early 70's - when Cathryn, in the middle of our hike up the Bond Cliffs in the White Mountains, stopped and declared that from that day forward it was "hotels only" (never did get to the top of the cliffs).

Getting to Santa Fe a couple of days in advance so I can acclimate to the altitude - and as an excuse to explore the city.  There a bunch of riders getting in early as well and I have arranged for us to ride with a local bike group called the Santa Fe SOB's. 

SOB - stands for "Seniors on Bikes" - it's a group of 50 plus locals that have a couple of casual rides a week.  Luckily, next week they have a 50 miler that we have been invited to join in.  I sure hope that that the "B" in "SOB" also stands for "Brew" - as it looks like Santa Fe has some great local breweries.

Packing is almost done.  It looks like I am going to have about 30 lbs of gear (bike stuff, tent, sleeping bag, camping pillow and of course, one freaking thick air mattress).  And a token amount of clothing - I am going to try to get by the 20 plus days with two T shirts, a pair of shorts, sandals and my North Face Thermoball. 

The rest of my gear will be devoted  to bike clothing - because you have to look good riding.  And of course you have to strut out your best "peacock-colored" bike shirts - highlighting all the great rides you have done in the past (Lake Tahoe Ride, Napa Century, etc).  I may not be fast - but I got the shirts! 

Going to try to blog every night - but not sure what the wifi and power situation is going to be like.  I went out and bought a HP chromebook as it has an amazing battery life (8 hours plus) and it came with a free T-mobile cell account in case I can't find a free wifi connection.  I'm told that in a lot of the towns we visit a local will give us a history of the trail and show us some of the local sites.  This should be very interesting and hope I can pass on some of the local history and lore.

I should have enough time to dedicate to the blog as we are only riding about 50-60 miles per day versus the 80-100 I did on last year's ride.  Provided I can find power!!!  

So stay tuned.