Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Dodge City and Boot Hill

Today was a rest day so we got a chance to tour Dodge.  I have to tell you Dodge City is a lot like going to Wall Drug in South Dakota.  Lots of anticipation and when you get there, disappointment.

The big draw in the city is Boot Hill.


While there is a museum, the store fronts are all re-creations and though it is off season - it's your basic tourist stop.  Trip Advisor gave it  so/so rating so I decided that taking a couple of pictures from outside the fence was the way to go.


Always wanted to see the Boot Hill Cemetery....


Took the photo from a knot hole in the fence - but even so there was not much to see.

I was really hoping that the town was authentic but that wasn't the case.  The Boot Hill recreation is right next to the downtown - which again had lots of empty storefronts.


In any case the best museum in town was the Teacher's Hall of Fame (Ellen thought you would get a kick out of this).


You got to love it - the Teacher Hall of Fame shared space with the Gunfighter Wax Museum.  Not much of a difference between a teacher and a gunfighter nowadays - particularly in some of our urban centers.

I am sure the real Dodge City was a happening place in the 1800's.  According to one of the signs in town there were 17 saloons and only a 1000 residents during the boom cattle rush days.  Even had some scandals as the following placard notes with the introduction of the Can Can in 1877.


Dropped my clean laundry back at the Support Truck and thanked the ride leader for the great help his team has been doing to support us.  They have been providing sag support (picking up riders at end of day or during bike breakdowns) even though this was not part of the deal.  Asked him to buy some beer for the drivers and support staff - as this is the nightly pastime at the end of each day.   Might even grab one for myself after tomorrow's ride.   

A shorter ride on tap tomorrow  - 70 miles to Larned Kansas.  Pretty sure we just past the half way mark of the ride - all downhill from here!  

Hope Larned has internet.

1 comment:

russ said...

Mike, I have my board meeting today a civic responsibility on Friday evening and Saturday morning then a family dinner Saturday night. On Sunday morning my wife will chauffer me to Council Bend so I can ride on Monday. Kyle is undecided at this point when he will come back. He may come with us on Sunday or meet up with us later. I will be much better prepared for round two of the trek. If you need anything from civilization let me know and I will attempt to procure it. Russ