Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Finally Made it to Philmount

Been difficult trying to blog as we have not had access to either electricity or wifi.  Sorry for the lack of photos but I am finally on the net - but real, real slow.

Last night we stayed in Wagon Mount, NM in the local high school.  We had dinner in the cafe and were served by the entire senior class - a total of 5 students!  The junior class made us packed lunches - again a total of 5 students.  The town consisted of a gas station that doubled as the grocery store, food, and beer store.  Not sure what one does in Wagon Mount as I didn't find one wifi network.

I bought a chromebook that has T-mobile built in but there was no local service.  So much for that idea.

We are on a third day of riding the mountains.  Lots of up hills,  First day we did 72 miles followed by 62 and today 57 miles.  Today started out a dream as we had a 20 mile downhill.  We turned the corner and hit 1 31 mile uphill - made worst by a 25 mph headwind.  I was averaging 4 mph on my bike.  I tried to stand up once to stretch and almost fell over I was going so slow.

In any case our camp today is simply a treat!  We are staying at the Philmount Boy Scout Camp.  Now if you were even a boy scout this is like Mecca,  The camp is something like 130,000 acres or 210 sq miles.



 It is off season now and we are staying in tents at the training center.  Thus summer over 130,000 campers from all over the world came for 12 day wilderness sessions.  I always wanted to come (I was not only a boy scout but a Boy Scout camp director in college) but I could not afford the fee.  So I finally got here - albeit by bike.  I did a tour of the camp and asked whether they did a "senior Boy Scout adventure camp (they said it was a good idea but I think they were "yesing" me to death.

Get to eat with the staff tonight - I hope we get to sing songs around the campfire.

As I mentioned the rides have been pretty hard the first three days.  We have to climb the Rockies tomorrow and the crew is pretty beat.  I think we are staying at a community college tomorrow night and the next day is a rest day.  So most people are talking about a hotel.

Might join them as I have run out of bike clothes and there is nothing worst then putting on day old, 70 mile bike shorts/shirts.

Hopefully I can find better internet access and can fill in some of the stuff that is happening.  Great crew so far.    Again no time to check spelling....

2 comments:

Susan said...

Michael,
Glad to hear you remain loyal, thrifty, brave (sort of) clean and reverent.
We need your trail map...I think you may have sent it but repost if possible--what states are you going through?! Assuming Colorado is the Rockies pit stop. Clark wants to know if you are going through the San Juan's. Trooper dismissed!

Michael Carabetta said...

Don't have a map to share. Will try to find one tomorrow. The trip started in Santa Fe and ends up in Independence MO. Lots of the climbs are in NM and CO.