Thursday, August 16, 2018

Dubois

We woke up in Pavillion to the fact that about 150 of our bike tires were flat.  Seems there were goat head thorns where we parked our bicycles.

,



These little thorns are not only like needles but they are almost impossible to find and get out of your tires.  I had a flat on my front tire and Ken had one on his rear tire.  You actually need tweezers to remove the little buggers. I tried replacing my tube only to have it blow up - as I missed finding one of the thorns.  Gave up and went to the bike mechanic who proceeded to find the perpetractor and repair my tire. There were so many flats that the bike mechanic team ran out out inner tubes.

And that was the high point of the day.

The ride from Pavillion to Dubois was only 63 miles (turned out to be 66) but had another 3000 feet of climbing.  Temperatures again in the 90's.  Didn't think the wind could get stronger but it did.  Had to be at least 20 mph with gusts exceeding 25 mph.  It was so strong that you had to pedal downhill in your lowest climbing gear.

At some points the wind was so strong I was afraid to take my hands off the handlebars to reach for my water bottle.  Ended up stopping once a mile to get off my bike just to get some water.    At some points I was going only 5 mph. 

Finally got into town and first thing I did was stop to buy a extra large bottle of Gatorade.  Took about a minute to drink.  From there went into camp and grabbed and downed one of my water bottles and two Diet Cokes. 

Given my speed I figured I was one of the last riders into camp - only to find out that most of the riders were still out on the course.   Had to be one of the toughest rides I have ever done.

Decided to play it safe and went to the medical tent to have them check my blood pressure.  Being good medical people they are - they peppered me with a thousand questions.....  Do you have a medical history.... are you experiencing pain,,,,,  do you have a history of high blood pressure.

All I wanted was to get my blood pressure checked and for a moment thought I was going to be airvaced to a hospital.  Ended up that my blood pressure was probably best ever.  Who knew?

Found Ken and after our showers got a shuttle ride down into town and headed to the first bar we could find.  Took about a minute to down two beers, two packages of beer nuts and one bag of chips.  So much for the keto diet!

Once again the food was superb.

Tomorrow is a rest day with an optional 60 or 100 mile climb up the Continental Divide.  You had to let them know what your ride choice was..... ride all, ride some, or ride none.  I elected the "none" ride.

The heat wave has broken and we are back to "normal" local temperatures.


We work up to 40 degrees and proceeded to put on every bit of warm clothes we had.

Again today is rest day -   Going to stay in camp.  They have a building with real heat, electric outlets and real flush toilets.

Then a downhill ride to Lander tomorrow.  Hoping that what goes up has to eventually go down.





No comments: