Monday, April 8, 2019

Well Deserved Rest Day

It's been a busy ride week.  On Saturday we did a 91 mile ride.  No rain but wind still slowing us down.  It was first day where we had normal temperatures - reached into the 80's.  It was a long ride and we left as early as we could so we could get to the 64 mile mark and enjoy Fred's Lounge.


This is a little hole in the wall lounge that is only open on Sat  mornings from 7:30 to 1 pm.  It broadcast cajun music and has a live band.  By the time I got there it was noon and the place was so packed I could not get it - not to mention it was filled with cigarette smoke.  I literally busted my ass to get there - only to walk in and immediately walk out.  Some riders were there for a couple of hours - and having to ride another 30 miles after drinking.  Egad.

I got into the hotel (2nd night in a row) and the reservation desk had cancelled my private room as they thought it was a mistake in the booking.  Luckily they still had rooms and was able to get a "private".  Holiday Inn Express!   Was going to watch the basketball games - but fell asleep at 7 and work up at 5 am - only because my alarm rang.

We were supposed to have breakfast at 7 but the cook and Bubba had some miscommunication on who was doing breakfast and a there was not food for us.  So at 6:45 I headed out and stopped at my first Waffle House.  Quite the experience.  I went to pay and they said it was free as some "big" guy (Bubba) had come in and said to feed any biker that came in.

On Sunday we had a 70 mile ride to St. Francisville LA.  We crossed to Mississippi River today.






We have one more day in LA and then we enter Mississippi.  Last night we stayed in a Girl Scout Camp (Merrydale).  Kept waiting for Lindsay Lohan to show up and re-enact Parent Trap.

We were supposed to be in tents but the forecast was for severe thunderstorms so the camp groundskeeper let us stay in the girls' cabins.  A bunch of us grabbed the first cabin and declared in a snore free zone.  There was supposed to be 14 people per cabin but they wanted some of us to sleep on the top bunks.  But the bunks were built for 60 pound girls and we probably would have broke the bunks if a 200 lb guy tried to get on top.  So when ever someone came by we told them all the bunks were filled.

In any case we named the cabin Margarittaville.   



Rudy (former federal agent) talked to sag driver to take him to town and he came back with case of beer and 3-4 bottles of wine.  He went looking for party lights but nobody stocked them.  He said to one store - What no party lights - what do people use to light up the bottom of the trailer houses?".  Did not go over well.

The rains finally came at dinner and it was as expected a violent storm.  Thunder, lightning and a huge downpour that lasted at least 20 minutes.  I can see why they have such flooding issues here.


Unfortunately the rough roads have finally taken a toll on my bike.  My rear wheel has literally ripped apart.

Luckily we are only 40 miles from Baton Rouge and Coach (our mechanic) is going to see if one of the bike stores has replacement wheel bearings.  If not I told him to by me a new wheel.  He asked me for as budget and I told him "get me a wheel that will last me another 800 miles.

Supposed to rain the rest of our off day.  But the forecast for tomorrow is calling for low probability of rain and for the first time on the ride a tailwind!!!!

It's an 84 mile ride so hopefully the forecast holds true.  We deserve it.

No comments: