Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Time to Ride

Boys:   We plan on riding about 400 miles on the Pony Express Trail.  That is like driving to Tahoe and back in the same day.    

We are starting in Kearney Nebraska and ending in St Joseph, Missouri.  The Pony Express trail was created about 200 years ago to carry mail from St. Joseph to Sacramento California. The route travelled from Missouri, through Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and California. 


They would put the mail in a pack on a horse and the rider and horse would travel about 75 miles to 100 miles a day.  Then the rider would change horses every 10-15 miles and continue on until the mail got to Sacramento.  Every so often they would also change rider.  But the mail never stopped moving.   The trip was abgout 1800 miles long and it took 10 days for the mail to reach California.

The rider would turn around and head back to St. Joseph with mail that needed to be sent back to the East.




Today there is a museum in St Joseph Missouri.  We are ending our ride there next Tuesday and I am hoping it is open when we get there so I can take more photos.




I had to ship my bike to the start of the trail and then put it back together.  I am riding with 3 friends that I meet a couple of years ago when we rode the Sante Fe trail (this was the trail wagons used to travel out West 200 years ago).





We start our ride tomorrow and hoping I get some more photos on the ride.  If I see a rattlesnake I will try to catch it and send it to you guys.







No comments: