Thursday, June 22, 2023

First Ride Day

 Boys:  I told you I would get you a rattlesnake!!!



I was riding on the road and really wasn't looking down and all of a sudden this rattlesnake slithered in front of me.  Scare the heck of of me.  Luckily he was more scared of me.

Today was our first day of rding and I drew the short straw and for the morning I had to drive the truck.  There are four of us and here is how much gear we had to bring with us.  Coolers, clothes and all our camping gear (tents, sleeping bags etc).  


Here are the guys starting the ride.  

w

Tom s a retired State Police Trooper, Russ ran a bank and Tom built telephone systems.  We are all retired and just like to ride long distances.  


We are riding mostly on dirt roads.  Here is and example.  It is hard to keep the bike riding foward without the bike slipping.  It took a lot of work not to fall over (imaging falling over onto a rattlesnake).





We stopped for lunch (peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches) in a little town that had a bank, a market and a flower shop.  Russ took over driving th truck and I got to ride the last half of today's ride.


Out total ride was about 40 miles.  Tonight we are in Hasitng Nebraska.  A long time ago when the settlers moved out here they had lots of fights with the native Americans.  There is a museum that has the following statue in front of it.  It is 2 boys being chased.  It you look carefully there is an arrow that goes through the first boy's back and into the second boy!!



According to the museum the boys rode until they lost the Indians chasing them and then fell off the horse together becasue of the arrow.  But they didn't die. Pretty cool.

Tonight we are staying in a hotel.  One one side there is a McDonalds and on the other side of the hotel is a DQ Ice Cream store!!!  

Ttomorrow we start camping and I hope we have ithe nternet so I can send you some photos of my tent.

And let's hope there are no snakes!!!

No comments: