Sunday, September 20, 2015

Crescent City to Eureka - 85 miles of pain

Today was a really foggy day so there are not a lot of photos.  Not to mention it was a really hard ride so I spent most of my time trying to figure out how the hell I was going to finish the 85 mile ride.

The ride started out with a 13 mile climb.  I averaged about 5-6 mph so it took pretty close to 1 1/2 hours to get to the top.  The ride down was obviously out of sight - but as soon as we were on the bottom we had another climb that had to be at least 5 or 6 miles long.  I think the average slope was in the 6-8 degree range with a couple of short 10 degree climbs.  Almost as challenging as climbing up the pass on the way to Jackson Hole.

I reached the first Sag stop (first rest spot) at 19 miles and I was the last person to check in.  People that have never passed me before had already signed in and I could not figure out when they passed me.  I thought I must have been hallucinating due to the climbing - but I found out that a lot of people started 1/2 hour earlier (early loaders).

We are in Humboldt County where most of California's pot is grown.  But it is also the home of the mighty Redwoods.  On our day off we got to take a hike in the Redwood Forest.  We were able to speak to a ranger who told us the average tree was between 400-600 years old and they have life expediencies of 2500 years.

Again my little point and shoot camera could not take in the shear size of the trees.  We passed on tree that had been uprooted and had one of the riders stand in front of the root ball.  Big.





As I mentioned we has a lot of fog for most of the ride.  When I was coming down the first climb there was one place to stop and take some photos and you could see the fog rolling in.  Five minutes after I got this shot off, the whole shoreline was engulfed in fog for the remainder of the ride.  So not too many photo opportunities.






After we got out of the Redwood Forest there was a Elk Viewing Area.  We were told that no one on any previous ride had ever seen an elk there - but lo and behold there were two elks feasting on the grass in the meadow (not the Humboldt variety).



With 30 miles left to go I had to take a shot of this sign as Sf is a about our 1/2 way.  



Speaking of signs I have to tell you I hate the sign that says "Passing Lane Ahead".  It is never good to see this just means the rest of the damn hill is going to be long and steep.  On the other had the sign "Trucks Check Your Brakes" is a really, really good sign.  All downhill from there.  

Not sure where we are going tomorrow.  Been told next two days are the toughest climbing days. So hopefully I can blog when I get in.  

P.S.  Before I sign off congratulations to Ellen and David for completing their first half marathon.  Going to have to figure out how to get them into long distance biking! Better on the bones.


No comments: