Monday, September 14, 2015

Road Out and Cold - Tillamook to Lincoln City - 51 miles

Today was an interesting day.  First the temperature started at 50 degrees and stayed there for most of the day.  This is about 15-20 degrees below average.  Clearly did not plan on this temperature - so I had to run to the store and get a long sleeve shirt for wearing under my bike jersey.  Went to a Fred Meyers (sort of like an upscale Walmart) and lo and behold found the following....


Yup, had to buy an Under Armour shirt - at full retail!  Wow these things are expensive.  Well at least I paid for Ellen's salary for the day.

Next we were supposed to log about another 70 mile ride - but one of the roads was shut down so we had to take a detour up through the mountains.  While it was only a 50 mile ride there were two huge climbs.

As we were not near the shoreline not too many chances for photos.  Did manage to get one shot from about 1/2 way up the first hill (about 4 miles long and my guess an 8-9 degree climb.



Mike (tour leader) took the same shot with John (in black, Seattle, 74) and Rodger (Pittsburgh).  Once we got to the top it was all downhill.  We were so hot and sweating from the long climb that even the UA garment was soaking.  With our speeds approaching 35 mph - it was so cold - like skiing at Wildcat in the middle of the winter.


 Eventually we ended up (about 25 miles in) at Pelican Bay.  Seems there were two sites to take in.  First was another one of these huge rocks in the water.



And second a local brewery that is a favorite hangout of all the bikers riding the Oregon coastline.


Unfortunately, as mentioned before I was cold and damp and could not fathom having a beer (not to mention it was only 10 am).   Will have to make up for it in Lincoln City.

Our sag stop was here so I was able to get some quick snacks for some energy and headed out to Lincoln City.  On the way out got one more shot of the coast....



We had a bunch more climbs - they were never ending.  At one point I passed John (who has done this tour 3-4 times) and I saw the top of the ridge in front of us and I said "please make this the top of the hill".  To which John responded "We have not even got to the climbing part yet".  I was hoping he was wrong - but damn he was right! 

The only good thing about uphills is that you get to go down really, really fast.  So from the top of the crest it was about 5-6 miles to Lincoln City and it flew by.

Got to the hotel early and luckily our rooms were cleaned and we could take some hot showers.  As for me it looks like I will be wearing my one UA shirt for the next 23 days - so I decided for the sake of my fellow riders to wash it by hand.  Hopefully it will be dry by morning.  

We are going to be heading to a local restaurant next to the hotel.  you won't believe the name of the place... 



Guess the liberal police have not got to the far reaches of Oregon.  Hopefully they have some local brews to make up for me missing the Pelican Bay IPA's.  





No comments: