Monday, September 21, 2015

Eureka to Hippy town (Garberville) 80 miles of weird weather

Today's ride ended in Garberville which is the pot capital of California - all of which is illegally grown.   On the way into town where you normally have people holding " help wanted" signs there were young kids hold up signs "pot horticulturist for hire".  I kid you not.

Again not a lot of pictures mainly because of a heavy duty fog.  It was so thick that it was almost like rain when you rode.  My sunglasses were useless for the first 40 miles.

Then the sun came out and the temperature jumped from the 50's to the 80"s in the span of a couple of miles. The first 50 miles were rolling hills and the highlight was riding through the Avenue of the Giants.  This is a road that stretches for about 30 miles that have giant redwoods on either side of the road.  They are so tall you can not take them all in with a tiny camera...



At about 50 miles we exited the trees and ended up next to the Eel River.  In 1964, after two days of rain (32 inches in two days) the Eel River overflowed and wiped out the entire city of Weott  The water level was 32 feet about the ground.  Even more amazing is that the river is actually 20 feet lower than ground level - so this means the water crested at 52 feet above normal.  A couple of photos to show the scale of the water level.



As you can see by the above photos by now the sun is out and it is about 80 degrees.  And almost immediately we began to climb for the next 30 miles.  Lots of climbing over the last 30 miles.  I knew it was coming so I had been pacing myself over the first 50.  

Had it all worked out except for the heat.  I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and a vest (which was ripped off on the first climb).  Stopped in a gas station for a drink and John (75 years old John) stopped as well as and of course his drink of choice was a Starbucks Frappuccino.  I think I pointed out that John was an early investor in Starbucks - so his choice of drink was probably predictable.  

Got to Garberville and after checking into the hotel went walking in the town.  You could get high just walking by all the stoners hanging out on the street.  I went into a quick mart and tried to buy a beer to go - but the clerk asked me for an ID (which I had left in my bike at the hotel) and the clerk would not sell me the beer.  Here are kids hyping pot right outside the quick mart - and a 66 year old is being carded for a beer. What a town!

Eventually I had to leave and go to the quick mart next store who thankfully did not card me.

Tonight we are going to have dinner at the local restaurant that specializes in Italian and Mexican cuisine.  I tired using Trip Adviser for some alternatives - but this was the only place in town open after 2 pm.    We are having dinner at 4:30 because the place has a reputation for being slow.  Ended up being pretty good - so no complaints.

Expecting another big climb day (for the next two days).  Heading to Fort Bragg home of Sea Glass beach.  

(Mike Driscoll - have to tell you my ass is killing me - first time ever).  Everybody on the ride has a home-gown solution on how to deal with this. Ranging from baby diaper rash to AD ointment to custom designed bike rider cream.  Decided not to take a chance - so my solution is I am using all of the above.

Hope I make it over the next couple of days.






No comments: