Sunday, September 27, 2015

San Francisco to Santa Cruz - With the Little Dude

Sorry not a lot of pictures today.  I got on my bike and when we were passing the Golden Gate Bridge (partially covered in fog) i went to pull out my camera and realized I had taken it to Alison's and forgot to take it out of my backpack when I got back to the hotel.

At first I had though I has left it in my room but when we grabbed out luggage in Santa Cruz it was sitting in my knapsack.  Whew.

In any case my rest day was great.  Got greeted by a huge sign at Alison and Steve's and Ryland (and Alta) was upstairs waiting for me with a bottle of wine.  He knew exactly what I needed.




We got a shot of the Little Dude and Grand Dude heading out for dinner...


The ride to Santa Cruz was pretty spectacular (sorry about not photos).  It started out with about 15 miles of climbing to get out of San Fran  Then another 10-15 miles of hills on a very busy Route 1.  

After we went thought the new tunnel at Devil's Slide (the original Route 1 slide into the ocean on year when we were living in Saratoga). The tunnel was about a mile long downhill with a very wide shoulder.  All kinds of blue lights flashing in the tunnel and the cars passing by with the headlights on - made for a really weird kind of environment.  Like being in an amusement ride.  

After the tunnel we lucked out and we had a tailwind for the rest of the 60 miles to Santa Cruz.  Again some great views.  Only complaint that I had was that the cars and motorcycles on Route 1 were so loud they were deafening.  Wish I had ear plugs.  

The 90 miles took about 6 1/2 hours so a pretty long day.  Think we end up in Carmel tomorrow.  All downhill from here.

2 comments:

AliOopCara said...

Ryland is stoked to make the blog! Ride safe GrandDude!

AliOopCara said...

Ryland is stoked to make the blog! Ride safe GrandDude!