Wednesday, September 30, 2015

King City to Paso Robles Ca 62 miles

Last two days since leaving Carmel we have been in the mountains.  Lots of climbing and lots of heat.  Not sure why we came this way as we are missing some of the best California coast line leaving Carmel on Route 1.

Best I can figure it is the people who designed the ride want to have you do at least 4000 feet of climbing each day.    This was probably a good idea when the demographic of the average rider was 40-50.  But most people are on this ride are retired and well past this targeted age (who else can take off 30 days to do a ride like this when you count travel to and from the ride).

Given the fact that ridership is down for the last couple of days it would probably make sense for the owner to re-evaluate his route.  I have been told he is not involved in the riding aspect of the company so it is doubtful this will happen.  Sure sign of a failing company.  Sent him an email once asking if he was interested in selling the company - and didn't even have the courtesy of sending me a reply.

I am one of the slowest riders here.  I do finish before most people but that is because I don't spend much time at the rest stops or stop for lunch.  To be honest with you, if i did make stops, I would probably not be able to start pedaling again.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the ride - just wish we had better views along the coast.  And the ride focused on the views and not the hills.

Today we stated out at about 64 degrees (first time in the 60's at ride start since we started).  Bytoday  the end of the ride we were in the high 80's.  They say we lucked out as generally tops 100 degrees on this portion of the ride.

The climbs were generally 1-3 miles in length (linked together so it was really a 6-8 mile climb).  In many cases the slope was above 10 degrees (above 10 is when you get out of the saddle and push as hard as you can on your pedals).

this is me in pain....





Not a lot of of photo opportunities today.  It was all hills and valleys of brown, dead grass.  I took the following photo from the top of one of the climbs.  Not sure the photo does the length and steepness of the hill justice..



The climb was to a man-made lake called Nacimiento Lake.  Before the drought it was a popular place for camping and boating.  The lake has to be down at least 40 feet and it appears to be on it's last legs.   In the following photo you can see the boar docks in the middle of the water - and to the left on the hill you can see the regular parking lot and boat launch (the black part above all the dirt).    The owner of the boat docks keeps moving them more and more to stay in the water (they generally are up near the parking lot).

All the businesses in the area are closed.  No campers - nor revenue!  There was a place where we were supposed to stop and get refreshments - but it is out of business.  So luckily the support van stopped and refreshed our water bottles.  




By this time it was getting hot and it was time to bear down and focus on getting in for the day.  We had about 20 miles to go from the lake to the town and I surprised myself by getting there in fairly good shape.   I stopped and downed an energy gel shot and some water and this seem to give me the extra gas I needed to get into town.

Tried to check into my room but they told me it was going to be a couple of hours before my room was ready - and god did I need a shower!  Also needed to do some laundry - so I stripped down in the lobby men's room  into my bathing suit and headed to the washer/drier.  Didn't care what the other hotel guests thought - man I must have smelled!

Finally got in my hotel room and my laundry is done.  Should have enough clean riding gear to finish the ride (5 more days).  The hotel (Holiday Inn Express) is giving us a wine and cheese party tonight - first time on the trip.

Not sure were we are headed tomorrow (think we hare heading to the town where Charles Mason is being held in prison).   Maybe he will see me pass his suite/cell.

I have been told it is our longest day (85 plus miles).  Hope like hell it is flat but somehow I doubt it.

Check in with you tomorrow.

No comments: