Saturday, March 2, 2019

Day 1 San Diego to Alpine

Ride started today with a 40 mile ride from San Diego to someplace called Alpine CA. I have no idea where this is - other than it was straight uphill from San Diego.  Who the hell builds a town on the side of a mountain?

As you can see the weather did not cooperate. It was wet and windy for the entire ride.  Everything I have is soaked.  Only thing good about the day is that it was about 55 degrees for most of the ride and I think the wind was on our back most of the way. 


We re staying the night is some town called Jacumba CA.  It is right next to the Mexican Border and we are right next to the "Wall".  So far I have seen about 5 Ice Officers all in the act of arresting some people that just jumped over the border.  Luckily I have my passport with me!

As you can see by the above picture everybody is in rain gear.  They have a tradition of giving people nicknames over the course of the ride.  Guess what she got named....



Pinky!


We also got assigned roommates today.  My roommate is Case.  


Case is a retired Hospital CEO.  As you will see in the next picture, Case is a little weird.  Check out his bicycle...



It's some kind of recumbent bike where you sit down and ride.  I have no clue how you climb a mountain on one of these things.  But to each his own!

We get to stay in a couple of hotels to start the ride as we are up in the mountains and not very conducive to camping. As I mentioned we are in Jacumba.  And the weather for tomorrow is not looking good.  Check out the following weather advisory they just posted.... 

 WINDS...SOUTHWEST TO WEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH LOCAL GUSTS 50 TO 60 MPH. * 

Yikes  And tomorrow is supposed to be another 40 plus miles uphill (takes a couple of days to get over the mountains and then it is all downhill).

So let's hope the wind is at our back again! And let's hope the rain goes away so I can take some more pictures. 

Hopefully can get a close up of the wall without getting shot.

Will check in tomorrow!













No comments: