Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Day 4 To the Center of the World


Best day so far.  Temperature reached 83 but no wind and no hills.  Total ride of 63 miles to Yuma, Az.

Last night I mentioned that we stay in the Mission School.  What I did not tell you is that it was a Seventh Day Adventist school.  So no booze and no meat. 

Of course we needed a beer after the ride so a couple of us decided to take an Uber to go to Applebees. We keep trying to google "closest bar to me" but it keep telling us the closest bars were on the other side of the wall. 

So Uber is a experience in Calexico as the drivers do not speak English.  They have GPS so they know where to take you - but neither driver or riders could communicate with each other.

I went with John (Cleveland) and the "Captain (New Jersey).  John has a house at Steamboat (an Alterra ski area).  John and I started off riding together but he was a couple of miles an hour faster than me - so we lost each other at about mile 20.

It was desert all the way.  Mostly back roads but we did have to get on the highway to cross the Imperial Sand Dunes.   Mountains of sand on both sides of the highway.  I was told this is the place to ride your 4 wheeler.


The side roads were in really bad shape and I was afraid of a flat tire or worst a broken spoke.  Made it though but my hands, shoulders and back are hurting tonight.


As my blog title noted today our midpoint ride was to the Center of the World....


It seems some guy build a pyramid in the middle of the desert and then got the local government to declare the site the center of the world.  He then got the United Nations to issue a declaration stating the same.  


Charges $5 bucks to go inside!.  He also made us lunch ($10) for a turkey sandwich.  That had 3 slices of the Oscar Mayer sandwich meat.  Yuk.

After leaving the center of the world - we entered the Imperial Valley.  The place we get all our lettuce from.  


It was probably 90 degrees plus 


Guess I should have listened to my mom when she said "eat all that lettuce"!


Foxy Lady brand lettuce


Right after the lettuce fields I got chased by a little shit of a dog that had teeth that hung down to the road.  Chased me for about 1/2 mile.  Faster little bastard!   As I was one of the first riders - I called the Sag wagon how came up and chased it down a dirt road for about a mile.  Hopefully it did not return.

Tonight we are staying in a National Guard Armory in Yuba Az.  


I did not mention it but the first two nights - sleeping with Case was a disaster.  He self describes himself as a "extreme snorer".  An understatement at best.  I had earplugs in.  On top the earplugs I had a white noise headband.  And on top that I had my head sandwiched between two pillows.  Got not sleep.  I had to go to Bubba and ask for a new roommate when we get to the next hotel.

But in the gym last night - everybody else got to experience Case.  I swear he was on one side of the gym and I was all the way down the other end and I still heard him - even with my white noise headphones in!.  Think there will be a revolt tonight if they don't move him.

Last night was laundry night.  Because we are "pampered" you get your laundry done for you.  What they don't tell you is that when it is done you have to do through piles and piles of clothes.  Which all look the same.  No really - have you ever seen bike shorts that are not black?



Right now I am waiting for the pile to get smaller as I am missing one pair of blue underwear (I think).  They suggest your write down what you give them to get washed or  to take a photo.  Remember lots of seniors here - so we all are prone to having senior moments.

I took a photo but I did not look at the photo after I took it.  I think there are 3 pairs of underwear but I can't remember and the photo sucks.  See left side of picture.



Tonight whatever clothes is left Bubba conducts a "walk of shame" (I told this was a cult). 

So it is important I get that last pair of briefs..  

Gonna go look one more time.....







No comments: