Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Gimme Shelter

Two Day Blog -

Lacking too many pictures as the weather has not cooperated.

After our rest day we had a 55 mile ride on Tuscon's bike paths which are probably the best city bike path system in the US.  They go everywhere.

Also along the paths there are "memorials".  Sort of like a cemetery without bodies.  Little plaques and people plant trees and leave decorations.




Pretty interesting riding along and looking at all the different memorials.  Even had a section for children that families wanted to honor.

Unfortunately we had a 20-25 mile headwind and we pushed to beat the rain that is chasing us.  We stayed in another RV camp ground.  Still amazed at the size of the RV's that people are staying in.  MY guess is that there was at least $3-4 M worth of vehicles in the lot.

Temperatures once the sun went down hovered around 45-50 degrees.  Dinner was outside and the wind made it hard to hold onto your plate.

On to Tombstone.....

At about 2 AM the rain finally caught us and it started dumping!  The tent was dry but I dreaded getting up in the morning.  Breakfast was outside in the rain - though we did have a covered picnic area to hide under. Really was hard to get motivated to ride.

Worst the ride today was a tough one.  It was a 75 mile ride with about 4000 feet of climbing.  It was hell.  It was raining.  It was cold (never got above 45).  It was windy.  Even sleet at one point along the ride.

I was drenched and cold at the 1/2 point and I elected to sag into the overnight stop.  Lots of people decided to do the whole ride - but I came here to enjoy myself - not torture myself.  Had the van driver put the heat on high for the 30 mile ride.  Driver had to turn on the defroster as I was radiating so much heat.

The best part of the day....

To my surprise we are staying in a hotel.  I would have shot myself if we were camping.  Felt so good to take a real shower with a room with a real bed!  Cranked the heat up to 75.

I have a new roommate tonight as I requested to not have to room with the self described "extreme snorer". 

The rain is supposed to stop tonight but the weather is still going to hover in the high 30-40 degree range.

Hoping for a tailwind. 

No comments: