Sunday, March 17, 2019

We're in Texas Baby!

Our ride today was 75 miles from Columbus, AZ to El Paso, TX.  We are going to be in Texas for the next 800 miles!  It is one wide state.

The wind and weather challenged us again - started out at 36 degrees and we had another 10-12 mph headwind. 

But compared to two days ago today was a walk in the park.  Tough but doable - took me 6 hours and only averaged 12.5 mph (well below my normal speed).

 Luckily not too many cars - mostly border control vehicles.  They have an interesting technique.  They drag two tires behind their vehicle on dirt roads that run parallel to the border.  They when they come back they check for footprints to see if anybody has crossed their dirt roads. 

People on the ride today said they hear a lot of gunfire coming from the vicinity of the border on the ride this afternoon - so be curious to see if something big happened today.

We rode on one road for 70 miles today (70 out of 75) and there was not one thing to take a photo of.   Just miles and miles of scrub brush. 

 So I am recycling one from yesterday in Mexico..



And a late entry of Poncho Villa....


We are staying in a Quality Inn tonight - we call them the "Ritz Carlton" of the Bubba ride. Real beds and real showers - hot showers!  Today is supposed to be a DSL day (Dirty Stinking Laundry Day).  We have DSL days every couple of days where they do you laundry.  But I got to the hotel early and shoved a load of my warm riding clothes in the washer and dryer.  

Quite honestly I could not ride in this gear another day.  I was even embarrassed to wear them to breakfast this morning.  I brought 5 short sleeve shirts and 4 shorts but only one set of warm clothes.  Who figured I would need just the opposite?  The problem with DSL days is that it takes a day to get your stuff back.  So hence the need to wash/dry the stuff myself.

I think tomorrow we have a 65 mile ride - and the forecast is for slightly better temps (46 versus 36) but still strong headwinds to slow us down. 

 Hope we are not camping tomorrow.



No comments: