Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 11 - A scorcher - Boise to Twin Falls

We just got done with the 100 miler (actually 97.5) in the 100 degree heat (actually only went up to 90).  Hot, hot hot.  But another day is in the record book.

My roomie (Alan) and I decided to get a head start on the day so we could try to bet the sun.  So we started out at 5:45 am.  (Editor Note - what were you doing at 5:45 am this morning? Bet your were not riding your bike!)

Alan and I are constantly trying to figure out where we put stuff (even though we only have 35 pounds of luggage,  it is still a daunting task every morning to find stuff).  Here is Alan:


Alan was trying to get his arm sun protectors on.  Instead he got one arm and one leg.  Unfortunately our luggage was already on the van and gone.  So he had to make due with one and one.  I called him Symmetrical Al....  He told other riders he was trying to get his tan to match - as one arm and leg were darker than the other.  Some people believed him.

By starting out early we got to see a great sunrise come up over the valley.


The valley is all agriculture.  Looks like wheat and corn and some other stuff I have no idea what it is.  The interesting thing is that we are in the desert and everything is grown with huge watering systems. 
Here is a shot I got just after the sunrise..


In contrast here is the other side of the road in the exact same spot - without water...


Once the sun came up it got hot fast.  I think Alan and I got about 30 miles under our belt before the heat started to become unbearable.  To make matters worst the roads we were travelling on were just "oiled and rocked".  This is process where the put down hot tar and then put gravel onto of the tar.  First is is really slippery with little bike tires and second, it is bone jarring.  I would say that 75% of the road was on rough roads.  

Hope the temporary fix my dentist did to my front teeth (see accident earlier in blog) holds. 

But I did get some great shots of the various canyons and valleys..



Mike (the sag wagon driver/mechanic) took this of me on the way down into one of the valleys.


In one of the little towns we stopped in for water (we did this a lot today). I snapped the following 


Seems we are following the Oregon Trail.  Yesterday we passed a monument that described a massacre of a wagon train by the local Indians.   Lot easier on our bicycles - and safer (except for the trucks).  

The highlight of the trip is when we got to Twin Falls.  In order to get into town you drive over a long suspension bridge over a huge gorge.  





The Snake River is the river where Evil Knievel tried to jump over with his rocket bike.  If I remember he did not make it.  This damn thing is really wide.  I can see why he missed.  

On the bridge I caught up with Yuval (from Israel) and we snapped each other's photo.


And one of me.


Today was a two water bottle day plus a camelbak.  I think I went through 6 or 8 water bottles plus a camelbak on the ride (97 miles).  And 4-5 bananas.  At about 85 miles it was really hot and I had almost run out of water - with no stores for another 10 miles.  Luckily Jeff, the ride director, came by with the van and had fresh water and ice.  It was a life saver - literally.

For the most part my body is holding up pretty well.  Face and arms are a little dry from the sun.  But no real sore spots - except for my ass.  I will never have "body builder" abs - but my butt is going to be rock hard! 

When we got to the hotel, some people continued on the ride for another 3 miles so they could claim a century ride.  

Me, I headed to the hot tub and pool.  Screw the extra 3 miles - I'm claiming a century.  Besides if I walk to the beer store and back it will probably put me over the top.  

Light ride tomorrow for some reason - was really looking to another 100 miler (not really).

1 comment:

Susan said...

Ok, so the rattle snake is beyond freaking me out. Was it just lying there in the middle of the road??? Ugh.

3 rounds at whole foods and the accompanying photos had us in stitches.

Two comments from Rich:
- drink Gatorade in the heat
- wait til you see snake river in Jackson WY (same snake different looking river!)

Write on!!!