Friday, June 28, 2013

Day 12 Leaving Twin Falls heading to Brurley Idaho

Another hot day.  Right now in Burley Idaho it is 96 degrees.  We had a short ride today (40 miles) as we are getting ready to do some serious climbing in the next three days.  We are heading to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  We have an elevation gain of about 6500 feet in the next three days - with the biggest gain on the third day of 5000 feet.

When we left Twin Falls we were able to actually see the Falls.




There are actually two sets of Falls, but it was a two mile (straight down the hill) ride and a two mile climb back up.  So I only did one Fall.  Besides you see one fall, you've seen them all!

The gorge continues to be impressive.  Massive walls with the Snake River at the bottom.





One last bridge over the gorge that we crossed - with a chance to take a picture from the side.



Once we got passed the last bridge - it was relatively flat (but hot).  Just blasted toward Burley passing field after field of crops.  They are starting to harvest some of the grains and hay and I went passed a caravan of farm machines the farmers were getting ready to use.


Just before town went by a massive stack of hay.


Yesterday I said the body was in great shape.  Spoke too soon.  I am experiencing what is called bicycle hot foot.  The bottom of the foot gets real painful like you are walking on coals.  The problem started at home when I started to lose weight from all the training (lost the weight in my feet not my stomach).  Tried changing my innersoles but the 90 degree heat is probably a contributing factor.  I am going to try doubling my socks tomorrow and if this fails I am going to buy some wider pedals to spread out the pressure.

In the interim I am going to the ice machine and filling the tub with ice and sticking my feet in.  I tried to write my blog at the same time - but I could not balance my computer on the tub side.

Hopefully I can get ahead of this problem in the next couple of days.

Bye for now.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I just resolved my own hot foot problem. if all else fails try this stretch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2G5WCJBpps
even though you may not have shin splints, if you dont stretch them it effects your feet. matt

Michael Carabetta said...

will try anything right now

Joel Reeves said...

HOT FOOT: try moving your cleats back a bit on your shoes

Susan said...

You will conquer the hot foot. Can you wrap the feet in thu k ace bandage? Rich says take ibuprofen.

When you get to Jackson, Rich says:
1. Rendez restaurant best in town!
2. Old west restaurant = gun barrell

Although You will probably be in bed before the restaurant opens...

Susan said...

Just saw an ad for Anatablock-- Panacea for joint and muscle related pain not sure if hotfoot falls into that category supposedly available FGN G GNC

Joel Reeves said...

LOOK HERE

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q=hot+foot+cleat+position&oq=hotfoot+cleat&gs_l=hp.1.0.0i22i30l2.2729.12502.0.15734.13.12.0.1.1.0.228.1211.9j2j1.12.0...0.0...1c.1.18.psy-ab.chBNentoZXs&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48572450,d.dmg&fp=3d8a03093ea32608&biw=1263&bih=674

Joel Reeves said...

Well that didn't work, just google

HOTFOOT CLEAT POSITION

Michael Carabetta said...

My cleats are all the way back. We are going to try to move up to see if this helps. Just ordered new larger pedals on Amazon. Will be in hotel on Tuesday.