Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Trip Begins!

Heading to the airport for my trip to Oregon.  Bike arrived on Tuesday and the tour starts on Sunday with the traditional "dip the wheel" in the Pacific Ocean.  A sort of weird tradition that ends (hopefully) with a "dip of the wheel" in the Atlantic.

The ride is 3677 miles long and will take 50 days.  A lot of people have asked where the ride goes, so I have attached a rough map of the US with the route.

We average 79 miles a day and there are several days where we do back-to-back 100 mile rides.  In the first six days we do 25% of the total trip's climbing as we go through the Cascade Mountains - guess they want to break you in fast!.  Forecast is for rain the first 3-4 days as well - yuk.

About two weeks into the ride we go through Wyoming and proceed to climb the mountain pass on which the Jackson Hole Ski area is located   Having skied JH, I can tell you it is one steep mountain (elevation 10,000 feet) .  Steve Benjamin and I climb the JH pass in my car a couple years back - and it struggled!  Now I have to do it on my bicycle.

And we call this fun?  For sure!



No comments: