Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day 3 - The Little Train that Could

Climbing Mount Hood today all I could do was repeat the mantra from The Little Engine that Could....   I think I can, I think I can.

The Gods were with us as it was supposed to rain all day today and we woke up to a beautiful but cold day (50).  Top of Mount Hood Pass was forecast to be in the low 40's.  So it was winter/rain day gear (Alison check out the jacket).


They told us it was 13.2 miles uphill and suggested that some of the slow riders take off first.  So I lead the way.  Kept thinking to myself I would save my low gear for somewhere around the middle of the climb.  Right.  About 2 miles in I ran out of lower gears.  It was a grind to the top and extremely cold.

About 1/2 way up I was doing about 6 mph and one of the younger guys comes wising by at abut 15-20 mph.  I think "to be young again".  "How great it is to have such speed and stamina".  Total jealousy. Then I say to myself...  Christ Mike - you are 2 maybe 3 times his age - pat yourself on the back.

Summit was about 4000 feet and a welcomed relief to get to the top.



Alison asked whether we stop and what do we eat.  We have a support wagon that stops every 25 miles or so and provides us with water for our water bottles and snacks.  I focus on the bananas and water refills (adding some Cytomax).  Most people also stop for lunch - but I have not done this yet (as I am afraid I might not be able to start up again).  I am going through about 4-5 water bottles per ride.  At the end of the day I drink 16 oz of protein drink as soon as I can.    Trying to stay away from the beer and wine - as I figure it's not going to help in the recovery process.  

The views were spectacular.  We were in the clouds so visibility was limited.  But hopefully you can get a sense of the climb from this picture I took on the way up.



They were right about the 13.2 mile climb.  What they didn't tell you about was the second, third and fourth climbs through the pass.  Here I was pacing myself to get through the ride up only to find out I had another 30-40 miles of hills.  Uphill I sweated like a pig and on the downhills I thought I was going to get frostbite (hit 35 mph on one downhill).  Add a couple of double trailers going 70 within 3 feet of your bike) and the cross winds were frightening.

I now can tell the difference between a trailer, a double trailer and a triple trailer by the sound it makes as it screams pass you.  I swear you could loss an arm if you stuck it out as they pass.

In any case at the bottom of the pass, Oregon changed into what they call "high desert".  Dry and hot.

Now the temp is 65 but the wind is blowing and the rain clouds are in the distance.



This is what we came for.  No cars, no trucks, no people for miles.  We went 25 miles on this road and I don't think more than 2 cars passed me.  The only thing you had to worry about was hitting the cattle crossing at the right angle on your bike. Come in even slightly off the mark and Wham.... dead meat; end of tour.


I am starting to get a sense of the enormous size of our great country.  You tend to take it for granted living in the city, fighting the traffic.  Get out here on a bike with the only sound is your wheel on the payment and gosh it is overwhelming.


That's a picture of where we head tomorrow.  Another grind and climb day.  Hopefully no rain.  

Peace.

3 comments:

Joel Reeves said...

subscription is not working, I signed up, but got nothing for your last two posts

Susan said...

Got to confess, I saw the pic of the cattle crossing and thought it was a (rather uncomfortable looking) hammock. A quick zoom allowed me to connect the dots! Holy crap.

As I read through the MOST welcomed detail I am left wondering the degree of "basic" training they give you to, in fact, keep arms in, deal with trailer draft or wind shear. Did they give you a bible to study before you left or was it like raising kids...baptism by fire.

I have to ask... Did you walk the bike at all? No judgement here I promise. I just cannot fathom not walking some when you realized you had another 30 + miles!!


I remain in awe. Any tex mex lately?


Write on!

S.

Michael Carabetta said...

They confiscate your bike if you walk. No I did not walk.

They have been bulking us up with pasta. Lot easier on the bod then TeX Mex or as they say out here Ore Mex.