Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Day 23 All Roads Lead to Wall Drug

Quick 54 miler today.  The calm before the storm.  Every time we have a short ride - you know sometime big is coming the next day.  Yup, another 120 milers scheduled for tomorrow (Wall to Pierre, SD)..

We headed out of Rapid City, SD this morning and headed to Wall Drug in the city of Wall, SD.  This has got to be the world's largest tourist trap.  A 76,000 sq ft building full of junk.  I actually went there looking for some sunscreen and other sundry's.  Of the 76K building about 500 sq ft is actually reserved for drugstore stuff.  Decided I could live without the stuff until we reach a real drugstore.

Not much in the way of views.  Flat roads with farms on either side of the road for miles (again).


Roads that go forever - straight and rolling...


The only interesting thing on route was we had our sag stop at the world's smallest biker bar.



Now it is either famous cause it is a small bar or it's for midgets.  As it was only 9:30 am it was not open so we did not get to find out why it had declared itself the world's smallest.  I would not want to fight a Harley Davidson height challenged biker - they don't hit above the waist.

We had to get on the Interstate for another 20 miles - only road out there.  My heart rate always jumps up about 10 beats and my pace speeds up.  I can't wait to get off these roads.  Alan passed a live rattlesnake on the road - luckily I missed it.

Exited off the freeway and entered the town of Wall.  Got there early so we headed into town.  Town is comprised of 5 buildings of which they all appear to be related to Wall Drug.  As I mentioned I did go into to claim my free ice water.



Now If you are just married they will give you a free coffee and donut (Alison and Steve how about that!).

That is it for today.

Short ride - short blog.


2 comments:

Martin Wall said...

Michael,
Since you hit the Town of Wall today, I thought I should weigh in. I've been reading about your ride each night without fail. You are on my summer reading list.
Great Stuff!
Keep riding, keep writing. I'll keep reading.

Best Regards,
Martin

Susan said...

Mt Rushmore amazing!!!! Wall Drug pretty funny. Have to share with my Dad. More rattlesnakes totally freak me out. Pondering the presidential addition to Rushmore.

Next time you provide stats update, please include total calories burned.

Write on!

S.