Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 30 King Turkey Day and a 112 Miler to Mankato MN

After I did my blog last night I found out some interesting stuff about Worthington, MN.  It is the home to King Turkey Day (actually a whole weekend).

So what is King Turkey Day you ask?  It is a race of two turkeys down a street.  First turkey over the finish line wins.  The race pits a team from Worthington against a team from Texas.   Draws thousands of visitors to watch.  Here is a clip from YouTube of the 2011 race.


I not sure what happens to the winning turkey - but it is not good news for the loser.   Also as part of the weekend there is a turkey bowling tournament where you roll a frozen turkey instead of a ball (perhaps this is where the losing turkey ends up).

We asked a couple of locals about the event and they got really excited about the event.  It is a town-wide event.  Perhaps we should consider this for North Truro.  Would be a good use for all the wild turkeys that are beginning to take over the National Seashore.

The ride day did not start out very well.  We were supposed to have breakfast at 5:30 as the ride was going to be long and hot.  The night clerk at the hotel refused to open up the breakfast room even though the contract stated 5:30.  He would not come out of his little room - and when he did - I laid into him.

This got the Bike Staff upset (I did apologize later to them) but I was pissed.  First the hotel was substandard.  It had mold in the tubs, feas in the public restroom and rubber mattress pads on the beds.  Every time you rolled over the bed pad made a noise.  ( Cathryn and Ellen - even worst than the hotel I took you to on the California coast). Just plain sucked.  And then to have a delay in the morning - it was too much and my CEO personality took over and I wanted to kill someone.

It did seem to help though as he must have called his boss and he opened up the breakfast room at 6 am (instead of his plan of opening at 6:30).  Of course just to piss us off he did not tell us that he opened it - the little worm.

So if you plan on visiting King Turkey Day in Worthington MN - don't stay at the Travelodge.

Not a lot of pics to take along the way.  Miles of corn fields with flat roads.  On the way into Mankato I did pass the town's ski area - Mount Kato.


Note quite Squaw.

I suspect this is very similar to the local ski area Steve learned to ski on.  But before anybody passes judgement - remember Lindsey Vonn learned to ski on a similar mountain (as did I at Mount Southington).

When we reached Mankato we were pleasantly surprised to find out we are staying in a real hotel tonight (the City Center).  Everybody is ecstatic.  

We need it as we have another long ride tomorrow.   Might even be back to back centuries. 

Cheers,






1 comment:

Susan said...

Omg! I am laughing so hard about the turkeys! I am thinking of having a race up and down my 3 flights of stairs on thanksgiving. Perfect theme! The turkey bowl is just hysterical.
All I can say is that hotel must have been bad. Sounds Alfred Hitchcock-esque-- couldn't tell who one would be more fearful of-- you or the kid in the small room... Way too funny.