Monday, July 29, 2013

Day 42 - I think Back in the USA

I have totally lost track of days.  Can't tell you if it is Sunday or Monday.  Can't tell you if it is July or August.  Totally clueless - as the only important time items are when do we wake up and when do we load our luggage so we can start the next ride.

After a quick 65 mile bike ride (where I got lost again so for me it was a 70+ mile ride), we arrived in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side and saw the splendor of the falls.



Now there is a stark contrast between the Canadian side and the US side of the falls.  It is like visiting Vegas (on the Canadian side) and Reno (on the US side).  Both have views (and gambling) but one side is glitzy (Canada) and the other side (NY) is raw and poorer.    In either case both sides are quite the tourist trap - where you can buy anything you can think of with the Falls imprinted on it. (Luckily I still have a 35 lb luggage limit or I would have bought some stuff for the family).

We have a day off today so we have time to do the tourist things..   One suggestion is to take a boat to get a closeup of the falls.


Included in the price is a blue rain poncho.  The boats get quite close to the falls - so you are bound to get wet.



Not sure this is my thing - but will give some thought about it later - after a couple of naps.  I did manage to get my pic taken at the Falls.


Once we took in the views on the Canadian side it was time for the team to cross back into the USA.   As we had to go through customs it required us to get on the bridge along with the cars and wait our turn.

When we reached the Custom checkpoint they started out looking at each of us one at a time.  When the car line backed up as they checked 40 passports one at a time - the Custom official gave in and checked us in as one large group.  We survived, and all riders were allowed back into the States where we were greeted by our next State.


When we arrived at our hotel one of the riders, Rick who lives in the Finger Lakes region and his wife (who came down for the day) greeted us with sparkling wine from their home town.


It was quite the reception.  I can tell you though, after a 65 mile ride (70 for me), this stuff goes right to the head.   But of course I had to have a couple of glasses - strictly to eliminate any chance of dehydration.

They say the view of the US side is not as good - but I disagree.  On the Canadian side everything is concrete.  On the US side, you walk through parks and greenier to get to the Falls edge.



In either case the Falls are spectacular.  Never thought I would have enjoyed coming to the Falls - but glad I got the chance to see them.  My last picture was splendid.


Most riders stayed up to see the Falls at night all lite up - plus a fireworks display.  But Alan and I were exhausted and headed off to bed at 9pm - after having a great dinner at the Niagara Falls Culinary Institute (plus more wine).

We had a choice for dinner - a $15 gift card to Denny's or the Culinary Institute.  Duh....

So this morning we will get our Grand Slam and then take in the sights and sounds of Niagara Falls - after we do our wash.  Then some more sleep and start our last 7 days of riding to reach the Coast.

Getting closer to my goal every day....

No comments: